Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Every engineer has great intentions when diving into a codebase. You want to make the code beautiful, easy to read, and modular. However as time passes and quick-fix bugs are put in, somehow your android codebase turned into a mess of multiple levels of inheritance of views and fragments and it takes forever to figure out exactly where a certain component exists.
Alice will share with you common poor patterns within android that many developers make and how to avoid or refactor them. All these mistakes previously existed within the Pinterest codebase! During Alice's talk you will learn: static class patterns and why they're a pain, separating away network calls from the main views, writing testable code, and misuse of a static eventbus. Alice's android team at Pinterest has learnt a lot through the process of refactoring their entire codebase to MVP paradigm and would like to share it with everyone else!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Masterclass: Reducing Technical Debt with Michael C. Feathers (in London on 28th - 29th October 2019)
- Janet Gregory's Agile Testing for the Whole Team (in London on 28th - 30th October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- P3X - People, Product & Process eXchange 2019 (in London on 31st October - 1st November 2019)
- 2 Presentations: Kubernetes Ingress & DevOps and Microservices Better Together (in London on 17th October 2019)
- Clean Architecture using BLoC & Voyager: DI & the Widget Router (in London on 21st October 2019)
- Parsley: A Staged Selective Parser Combinator Library (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Lightning Talk: The Elm Architecture in Haskell: Managing state with multiple threads (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Common Poor Coding Patterns and How to Avoid Them
Alice is currently at Patreon as a senior Android Engineer. She previously led the Android Core UI team at Pinterest - building high impact core features and reusable UI components. She also worked on performance optimizations, and rearchitecting the android codebase in MVP paradigm. Outside of the Android world, she is passionate about volunteering to teach kids to code, dance, drawing, and traveling around the world.