This session was not filmed.
As more and more teams adopt automated acceptance testing, through BDD and Specification by Example, there must now be a frightening number of feature files out there in the wild now. However, the challenge of writing great feature files, ones that serve as true living documentation over time, remains. Although quick to get started with, mastering how to construct a readable, concise and informative feature file can take a very long time. In this workshop, Bill and Tom will share with you as you explore some of the typical pitfalls in writing feature files and then arm you with some tools to combat many different types of business rules / scenarios that you face. Including some insights into writing step definitions to build a better automation library.
the structure of different scenario writing styles and when to use them
the importance of background steps with regard to readability and re-usability
scenario headings and the step-down rule - linking together related scenarios for enhanced narration
Making step definitions flexible and readable, whilst building a library of utilities and functions that make for a lean automation framework with plenty of re-use
This intends to be a lively practical session with plenty of discussion, interaction and shared learning across all participants, so whether new to the subject or experienced and looking to pick up some new tips to refine your approach we’ll hope you’ll find something of interest here.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Negotiating for Your Life: How to Get More of What You Want from Difficult Situations (SkillsCast recorded in November 2018)
- Jenny Martin's BDD From Start to Finish - Successful Delivery through Continuous Collaboration (in London on 24th - 26th June 2019)
- Martine Devos' Certified Scrum Master, Estimation & Planning Class (in London on 24th - 25th June 2019)
- SC London 2019 (Software Craftsmanship London) (in London on 3rd - 4th October 2019)
- P3X - People, Product & Process eXchange 2019 (in London on 31st October - 1st November 2019)
- Keynote by Iyas AlQasem on Using Agile Techniques to lead your startup and Scale-up your Company (in London on 18th June 2019)
- Agile Around The World (in London on 1st July 2019)
- Lizzy Morris (CST) Presents: Leading from the Inside is True Leadership Agility (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- DOODLE-DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
Workshop: Lingua Feature - How to Keep Feature Files as Real Living Documentation
Bill Thompson has been a software developer for over thirty years, and is currently working at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. Having been introduced to the wonders of BDD some five years ago, he has been using feature files to drive the development of many new applications in the bank, and has championed their use throughout the firm.
Tom Roden is a software delivery consultant, coach and quality enthusiast, helping teams and people make the changes needed to successfully adapt to the changing demands of their environment.