Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Joe has previously been scared to speak up in situations where he could have made a change, likely from fear of saying the wrong thing and worsening the situation. But if you never take action, how can you make changes?
In today's workplaces, there are still huge issues with inclusivity. Whilst you may not notice it in your workplace, underrepresented groups are faced with difficulties and feelings that those with privilege are likely to have never encountered. But this doesn't and shouldn't, have to be the way - being an ally allows you to amplify the voices of the underrepresented and make change happen.
In this talk, Joe would like to share with you some of his what he has learnt around how you can be better allies for inclusivity and make improvements not only in our place of work, but in our every day lives.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- Learning to play the guitar with Actions on Google (SkillsCast recorded in October 2018)
- BeyondTech 2020 (in London on 23rd - 24th April 2020)
- 3 Things You Need To Know Before Asking For a Promotion Or Pay Rise (in London on 11th November 2019)
- Diversity for Digital – Become the Ambassador of Making a Difference (in London on 21st November 2019)
- Design Your Authentic Personal Style for the Workplace (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- RedisTimeSeries = A Time Series Database using Redis (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Making Change As An Ally
Joe is an Android Engineer and Google Developer Expert for Android, based in Brighton, UK and is working on the Android team at Buffer. He's passionate about coding and loves creating robust, polished and exciting projects for mobile, the web, TV, wearables and he’ll probably be toying with whatever the new thing is at the time you’re reading this – Joe loves to be constantly learning. He is also a keen writer as he loves to share his learnings and experiences with others.d writer sharing all of his experiences in the Android world, also currently working on a Firebase Book