SkillsCast coming soon.
So you have realized that you know how to design a .NET Core application: it is just C# and the BCL. So you have realized that know how to design ASP.NET Core and EF Core applications. They are just ASP.NET and EF, with a few changes to APIs, some good, some annoying.
But you are still deploying to IIS and Windows. You have not left the walled garden, even though Microsoft tore the walls down in the name of OSS. It sure looks scary out there. What replaces IIS? What will I do if I can't run Windows Services using TopShelf? How do you talk to your server if it does not support RDP? What the hell is the bash shell and how the hell do you quit Vim?
If the Linux world is a strange place where you can never imagine deploying your apps, this tutorial is for you.
Ian and Toby are going to take you through the basics of deploying your application to non-Windows environments and running them there. By the end of the tutorial, you will have learnt what the moving pieces are that replace the more familiar world of Windows, why they are not really that scary, and may be much more powerful and how you can use them with your .NET application.
The knowledge gained here will be equally valuable whether you deploy to tin, an EC2 instance, or a Docker container.
Prerequisites: Delegates will need access to a Linux shell, either via WSL, a VM, or dual booting.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- ProgNET London 2019 (in London on 11th - 13th September 2019)
- Event Driven Collaboration (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Fast Track to F# with Tomas Petricek & Phil Trelford (in London on 9th - 10th September 2019)
- Functional Concurrency in .NET with C# and F# (in London on 9th - 10th September 2019)
- F# eXchange 2020 (in London on 2nd - 3rd April 2020)
- Keynote by Rachel Appel: Build Data Driven Web Apps using ASP.NET Core (in London on 25th June 2019)
- Inspire creation with technology such as the Raspberry Pi over a pint. (in London on 25th June 2019)
- Everything you wanted to know about Swift but were afraid to ask (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Saving the planet with Linux and the IBM Z Mainframe (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
Tutorial: Linux :heart - .NET Core: Deploy and Run
Toby Henderson is currently an Application Architect at Huddle. Previously he worked in the finance sector as a developer, operations manager and technical architect for over 15 years. Very fussy about coffee, likes good food and booze.
Polyglot Coding Architect in London, founder of #ldnug, speaker, tabletop gamer, geek. Tattooed, pierced, and bearded. The 'guv' on @BrighterCommand