Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
User stories written in a common language are engaging and effective? Maybe.
BDD is a conversation enabler, allowing business people, developers and testers to strive for a shared understanding of business rules and objectives. Even without the conversation, common language, such as “Given… When… Then” is often used to describe business scenarios, acceptance criteria and tests, facilitating fluency between the three.
However, scenarios, criteria and tests each serve a different purpose, and sometimes framing each as “Given, when, then” constructs is not intuitive. Avoiding a prescribed definitive approach to story writing, yet effectively using a common language to satisfy each objective is challenging.
This talk will borrow from causal theory to illustrate the fundamental real-world principle underlying a “Given, When, Then” assertion. The premise of dispositional causality is that in order to see an Effect (then), there must be combination of Disposition (given), and Trigger (when). An understanding of simple causal concepts will help translate natural language into effective scenarios, criteria and tests. It will also help to clarify the difference between the three, so that business scenarios are fully explored, while acceptance criteria are succinctly expressed and test coverage is thorough.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Janet Gregory's Agile Testing for the Whole Team (in London on 28th - 30th October 2019)
- Martine Devos' Certified Scrum Master, Estimation & Planning Class (in London on 4th - 5th November 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- P3X - People, Product & Process eXchange 2019 (in London on 31st October - 1st November 2019)
- Right to Left - Outcome Driven Agility (in London on 21st October 2019)
- Business Agility and Continuous Compliance (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- RedisTimeSeries = A Time Series Database using Redis (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Testing in Production. From DevTestOops to DevTestOps (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
BDD: From Definity to Beyond
Sharon is a Product Owner at Liberty Information Technology, and also a Mother, dog-owner and armchair philosopher. She is passionate about problem solving, and problem space thinking, she spends her working days discovering what customers and users need and delivering technology that makes them happy.