Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
User stories written in a common language are engaging and effective? Maybe.
BDD is a conversation enabler, allowing business people, developers and testers to strive for a shared understanding of business rules and objectives. Even without the conversation, common language, such as “Given… When… Then” is often used to describe business scenarios, acceptance criteria and tests, facilitating fluency between the three.
However, scenarios, criteria and tests each serve a different purpose, and sometimes framing each as “Given, when, then” constructs is not intuitive. Avoiding a prescribed definitive approach to story writing, yet effectively using a common language to satisfy each objective is challenging.
This talk will borrow from causal theory to illustrate the fundamental real-world principle underlying a “Given, When, Then” assertion. The premise of dispositional causality is that in order to see an Effect (then), there must be combination of Disposition (given), and Trigger (when). An understanding of simple causal concepts will help translate natural language into effective scenarios, criteria and tests. It will also help to clarify the difference between the three, so that business scenarios are fully explored, while acceptance criteria are succinctly expressed and test coverage is thorough.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Effective Enterprise Agile Transformation with Portia Tung (in London on 17th - 19th June 2019)
- Jenny Martin's BDD From Start to Finish - Successful Delivery through Continuous Collaboration (in London on 24th - 26th June 2019)
- CloudNative London 2019 (in London on 25th - 27th September 2019)
- Digital Leadership June (in London on 17th June 2019)
- Keynote by Iyas AlQasem on Using Agile Techniques to lead your startup and Scale-up your Company (in London on 18th June 2019)
- Lizzy Morris (CST) Presents: Leading from the Inside is True Leadership Agility (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Awesome CI/CD Data Pipelines for Distributed Data-Sources (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
BDD: From Definity to Beyond
Sharon is a Product Owner at Liberty Information Technology, and also a Mother, dog-owner and armchair philosopher. She is passionate about problem solving, and problem space thinking, she spends her working days discovering what customers and users need and delivering technology that makes them happy.