Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Have you ever used an app that looks like each screen was designed by a different company? Or worse, based on iOS hand-me-down design mocks? No matter how feature rich or well architected an app is, a jarring user experience casts a shadow on all the hard work that we do. The application Nicolette is currently working on lacked consistent design across the many screens they have. While the designers worked hard to create mocks using Material Design guidelines, the app still looked mismatched. The standardization work easily fell by the wayside as product prioritized other projects with tight deadlines. As a result, she ended up with a feature heavy application that lacked a clean, pleasant user experience. After meeting with another team at the company that had implemented the concept of a shareable “UI Toolkit” component in their app, she decided that engineering needed to combine efforts with design to bring their UI standardization project out of the backlog. This talk will cover how to create a shareable UI module for an Android application, the value that adds, and how to use Material Design and the Material Theming tool to create an app with a consistent, beautiful UI. Beyond that, Nicolette will share how she convinced the product team to prioritize this project, how she worked with the Design Team to bring their work into their implementation, and which tools enabled them in the process.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- Fast Track to Android Architecture (in London on 21st - 23rd October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- Flutter London June Meetup (in London on 17th June 2019)
- Keynote by Rebecca Franks on Tips for Building Custom Views on Android with Canvas APIs📏🎨 (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Lightning Talk: Independent Services, Throw Your Hands Up At Me (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Keeping Subscribers Engaged in Your Design System (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
Sharing is Caring: Material Design and Shareable UI Components
Nicolette works at Intercom as a Senior Engineer on the Messenger Android SDK. The thing she likes most about Android development is the community and culture of learning and growing together.