Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
NearbyPong is a game that Fernando Prieto and Ferran Ribell created at Karmarama several months ago. They wanted to develop a game that used the new Android Nearby API and Kotlin. In this game, you are basically able to connect with another user in the same area by using bluetooth and wifi to establish a connection, but it might not be necessary connected to any common network. This allows you to play anywhere; in the tube, in the middle of the ocean, etc. But you must respect the bluetooth radio range, to be inside that area as long as the game is being played. Through an authentication process, both you and other users exchange an ID with one another, and once a two way handshake is completed and both clients are connected, the game can begin. If there is a connection error during the game, both users are able to reconnect again. It's more than just create a unique and fun game, you will discover that it also has a cool aesthetic applied to it, based on the Tron Legacy film theme.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- Fast Track to Android Architecture (in London on 21st - 23rd October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- Keynote by Rebecca Franks on Tips for Building Custom Views on Android with Canvas APIs📏🎨 (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Keynote by Markus Eisele on Java in the Age of Containers and Serverless (in London on 20th June 2019)
- Hybrid Apps from a Ember/Vue/React PWA (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Bringing Back Dial-up: The Internet Over SMS (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
Lightning Talk: Play Multiplayer With No Connection
Fernando is an Android developer and gymnast from Madrid, working in London for almost two years. Ready for any new challenge, no matter the difficulty, the attitude always wins any talent!