Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Recently the comonad has been getting several mentions, although real-world applications are less common than for the monad. One example often cited is to use comonads to do signal processing. But what does it mean in practice?
During this talk, you will get a sense of how to use the comonad in this way (along with other functional tools) by processing and decoding a familiar real-world signal, the old-school analogue composite video, as we build a homemade TV capture card. Starting with a minimal stream-like structure, we will define a comonad on it, recycle common functional concepts into a signal processing toolkit, and build up until we see an actual colour TV picture.
You will also learn how this endeavour lends itself well, at least in theory, to a functional treatment, and perhaps get some motivation to find more uses for the comonad and other techniques employed.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- 'Inappropriate' applications for Scala (SkillsCast recorded in December 2015)
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Professional (in London on 11th - 12th November 2019)
- Advanced Scala with Dick Wall (in London on 9th - 11th December 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Scalax2gether Community Day 2019 (in London on 14th December 2019)
- The Five Stages of Data: a holistic approach to data analytics and BI (in London on 21st October 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Abstract Data Types In The Region Of Abysmal Pain, And How To Navigate Them (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
- The Last Frontier and Beyond (SkillsCast recorded in August 2019)
Cobind and Chill
Danielle took up functional programming in Scala a few years back as a mental challenge and much enjoyed it since, with gratitude to the great people she met on the way. Alongside Scala being the day job, she has an amateurish inclination to look at unusual domains with FP in the misguided conviction that there has to be a 'clever' solution for every problem.