Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Apple’s iOS development platform was released over 10 years ago. Since then, significant changes have been made to the toolset and languages surrounding iOS app development. When a development platform reaches this age it is increasingly frequent that:
- • iOS engineers will encounter ‘legacy’ iOS apps (apps where the majority of architecture was built with outdated language, APIs and toolset references).
- • When encountering such apps, the challenges of working within the constraints imposed will be greater.
- • There will be a need to evaluate the value of continuing development of such a legacy app versus alternatives such as a rewrite.
This talk will be divided into 3 sections:
- • Review of common problems/patterns encountered in legacy iOS apps as well as the typical challenges those introduce to a refactor strategy.
- i.e. KVO, early/immature use of managed object context, etc.
- • Evaluating Refactor vs. Rewrite
- How to evaluate technical complexity of options.
- Risks associated with either strategy and how to weigh these based on you team or product.
- • Execution strategy & business buy-in
- Should be shaped around business success & flexibility.
- Metrics talk (and inform) - use metrics to reach your decision and track your progress through the strategy you choose.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightning Talk: ABI Stability & the LLVM (SkillsCast recorded in March 2019)
- Fast Track to Android Architecture (in London on 21st - 23rd October 2019)
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 22nd - 23rd October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- iOSCon 2020 - The conference for iOS and Swift Developers (in London on 19th - 20th March 2020)
- Clean Architecture using BLoC & Voyager: DI & the Widget Router (in London on 21st October 2019)
- The Sonic Contender (in London on 28th October 2019)
- Cleaning the Big Picture: Creating Maintainable Mobile Games in Haskell (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Design to code. Meet Supernova. (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
Legacy iOS apps: Refactor vs. Rewrite
Julietta works as an iOS engineering consultant in Brooklyn, NY. She’s been building software applications for more than 12 years, first learning the ins-and-outs while working as a software consultant for Agile & TDD champion, ThoughtWorks. Since then she’s been an active member of the NYC startup scene, specializing in architecting iOS platforms for startups of all sizes and needs. She’s lead teams and is active in the entrepreneurial community and also runs the Brooklyn Swift Developers meetup.