Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Travelling to FullStack in NYC from another country? You probably had to pay an arm and a leg for a data roaming package on your phone. But there’s a better way! What if Alexandra told you that you could stay connected to the internet with a phone that can only send and receive text messages? In this talk, Alexandra will show you how to build your own browser that makes all requests over SMS, so that next time you can forget about that fancy data package.
Alexandra has been working on this project for a while now and finds it really fascinating -- it's fun and quirky, and also lets her touch on some topics like why designing websites in a certain way is better for people with poor Internet connectivity, the politics of why cellphone data costs so much, how browsers work behind the scenes... There's something for everyone!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- Damjan Vujnovic's Angular Workshop (in London on 3rd - 5th July 2019)
- Infiniteconf 2019 - A one-day community celebration of Big Data, Machine Learning and AI (in London on 4th July 2019)
- Keynote by Rebecca Franks on Tips for Building Custom Views on Android with Canvas APIs📏🎨 (in London on 19th June 2019)
- The wonders of IBM: Watson, artificial intelligence, Swift coding and databases! (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Upgrading to Django 2.2 (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Frontend Series (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
Bringing Back Dial-up: The Internet Over SMS
Alexandra is a software engineer building the future of management at Fellow in Ottawa. In her spare time, Alexandra sews her own clothes and incorporates tech by 3D printing materials and programming her sewing machine.