Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
This video from Droidcon London discusses Vertu’s experiences productising Android, along with the benefits and pitfalls in creating an Android phone that will be used around the world.
Vertu is a UK-based manufacturer and retailer of luxury mobile phones. Established by Nokia in 1998, it spent the next fourteen years creating phones using the S40 and S60 platforms. In 2012, they introduced their first Android phone with the Vertu Ti. This video from their Droidcon London session discusses their experiences productising Android along with the benefits and pitfalls in creating an Android phone that will be used around the world.
Discussions of what sorts of issues any Android OEM would face, such as dealing with an ever-changing Google Mobile Services and moving from one Android baseline to another
Specific challenges that Vertu met, such as adding extra physical buttons, unique services integration, and selling in China where Google Mobile Services aren’t allowed
The trade-offs between using an existing analytics platform and creating one from scratch.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- Fast Track to Android Architecture (in London on 21st - 23rd October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- Flutter London June Meetup (in London on 17th June 2019)
- Keynote by Rebecca Franks on Tips for Building Custom Views on Android with Canvas APIs📏🎨 (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Hybrid Apps from a Ember/Vue/React PWA (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Bringing Back Dial-up: The Internet Over SMS (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)