Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
This talk will cover how to madly customize (almost) everything in a RecyclerView. Today's apps aren't simple lists and grids. They have complex, hierarchical content and move, interact, and flow with the user and their device. The layout-dp folder is dead; long live the custom adapter! You'll learn how to make apps:
RESPONSIVE: Flow layouts dynamically from a single column on phone to grids and columns on tablets, even if you have multiple sections or view types.
DYNAMIC: Let your lists move! Let users expand and collapse content and insert asynchronously from the network, all with free predictive animations. We'll explore an approach and (soon-to-be-released) library from Genius which makes fine-grained updates in a RecyclerView easy.
SMOOTH: Setting layout backgrounds is so 2000 and late. We'll explore ItemDecorators from the simple to the complex -- decorating views with backgrounds, separators, and indents depending on their context (like sections with headers, groups with different "backgrounds", mixed rows and grids!)
INTERACTIVE: Allow any part of your content to be rearranged or swipe-to-delete.
All this, and avoid overdraw too! You'll learn on adapter, ItemDecorators, ItemTouchHelpers, ItemAnimators, SpanSizeLookups, and everything short of making your own LayoutManager.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Keynote: Tips for Library Development from a Startup Developer (SkillsCast recorded in October 2017)
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- Fast Track to Android Architecture (in London on 21st - 23rd October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- Keynote by Markus Eisele on Java in the Age of Containers and Serverless (in London on 20th June 2019)
- Front Endgineers London (in London on 1st July 2019)
- The real reasons why you should care about Provider (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Hybrid Apps from a Ember/Vue/React PWA (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)