Until recently Power BI has had limited mapping capabilities. Now we are spoilt for choice with the Map, Filled Map, Shape Map and Arc GIS Map visuals, before we even consider the use of custom visuals such as Globe Map, Synoptic Panel and Enhanced Scatter. We will look at how to make best use of each of these, and some tips and tricks for using them, particularly with UK geographies. Then when all these options still can’t provide the capabilities needed, we’ll look at a custom visual based on LeafletJS.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- How to Create a Custom Visual for Power BI (SkillsCast recorded in December 2018)
- Keynote by Emily Robinson on Creating a Strong Data Science Portfolio (in London on 24th June 2019)
- Disruptive innovation: what it really means to the construction sector (in London on 9th July 2019)
- Hate Speech as a Service (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Q&A Pane (SkillsCast recorded in April 2019)
Ric Howe is a data solutions professional at Microsoft. He has worked with the big four and many of Microsoft’s biggest customers architecting data solutions, and is currently focused on public sector. Having spent four years studying creative writing at both Leeds and Exeter Universities, he is very interested in storytelling with data, and simplifying deeply technical solutions to the value they can provide modern businesses. In his spare time, he studies physics and cosmology.
James Dales is Data Architect and runs the Microsoft technology practice in Altius, a Microsoft Gold Partner in Data Analytics and Data Platform. He has an background in data solutions and now specialises in Azure and Power BI. In 2016 James’ report won 2nd place in Microsoft’s Best Power BI Report contest.