Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Java 8 features have finally made their way to the Android world and if you haven't been trying them, you are missing out. This talk is all about getting you up to speed on all of these new features and how to use them. It will be a great primer if you've never looked into them or a refresher if it's been a while.
Alex will deep dive into the features that you can start using right away in your project, like lambda expressions and method references, with real world Android specific examples.
He will also explore other Java 8 features like streams and default methods. While currently the support for the latter is more restricted (only from Nougat onwards), these are really powerful features that you will want to master.
Of course, Alex will also go over what you need to do in your project configuration to support Java 8 features and what are some of the issues you may need to be aware of.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Effective Java (SkillsCast recorded in February 2013)
- Brian Egan's Flutter and Dart Workshop (in London on 22nd - 23rd October 2019)
- Modern development with Java (in London on 9th - 11th December 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- iOSCon 2020 - The conference for iOS and Swift Developers (in London on 19th - 20th March 2020)
- The Sonic Contender (in London on 28th October 2019)
- Keynote by Heather VanCura on The Future of Java and You (in London on 7th November 2019)
- Cleaning the Big Picture: Creating Maintainable Mobile Games in Haskell (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Design to code. Meet Supernova. (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
Java 8 on Android
Alex is the Mobile Engineering Lead at YPlan, calling out of London, UK. He was previously the Android lead for Yahoo Fantasy Football and before that spent some time doing back-end Java development at Yahoo and full-stack development at Goldman Sachs.